The Old Laboratory
This gallery shows the fittings of a laboratory as when the Bacteriological Institute (BI) opened in 1906. It is likely that even the taps over the ceramic sinks are the original ones. The BI was Hong Kong’s first clinical and public health laboratory. Its facilities were then considered comparable to some of the best laboratories in Europe. On display is the scene where students of the Hong Kong College of Medicine are dissecting rats for plague surveillance. Also showing are stations demonstrating selected aspects of the work carried out at the Institute, such as examination of water, and malaria control.